Recipe: Creamed Spinach II


This is a delicious and easy creamed spinach recipe. I have several recipes for creamed spinach in my file. This one relies mostly on the spinach and butter for its flavor and cream for its texture. I make it every once in a while for a change from the other vegetables I make a little more often. There is nothing low fat about this recipe… its rich and creamy… a special occasion dish.

It reminds me of the creamed spinach I used to get at a little restaurant in New York when I was growing up…. I don’t remember much about the restaurant except that I looked forward to going because I loved the creamed spinach.

The directions in my file are old and they go into detail about cleaning and trimming fresh spinach… the soaking of spinach in several different water baths and the wringing of the spinach to get all the excess water out is still needed when you purchase from a farm stand or grow spinach yourself. Most of us today… when we buy it fresh in packages, it already is cleaned and trimmed… although it’s still a good idea to rinse it…. and make sure you wring all the excess water out of it.

You can use frozen chopped spinach for this recipe… the problem with frozen is that it’s nearly impossible to get all the water out of it… and the “spinach” water tends to make the sauce runny. When I use frozen I drain it with a fine mesh strainer and press it with a cooking spoon to get out as much water as possible.

I love spinach…. Popeye has nothing over me…. and if you really like spinach … you will like this dish.







PRINT RECIPE

Creamed Spinach II Recipe:

All you need:

2 pounds of fresh spinach, cleaned and trimmed
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup fat free chicken broth
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt to taste

All you need to do:

Finely chop the spinach, you can use your processor but make sure you just chop it. Do not puree it.

In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter.

Add the spinach.

Cook for about 5 minutes until the butter has been absorbed by the spinach.

Remove the saucepan from the heat.

Sprinkle the flour over the spinach, tossing it to make sure that there are no lumps.

Add the cream, broth and nutmeg.

Salt to taste.

Put the saucepan over medium heat and cook until the spinach bubbles, stirring constantly.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the spinach is the correct consistency.

Add the remaining butter just before serving.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup